Welcome!

Ok, this has been running for a little while now. I have added all sorts over the last couple of years. Please feel free to recommend links/information to me that I can add - I'd like to get students involved in the up-keep of it to make it more student focused.

I will keep adding things as I see them!

I hope you enjoy, let's see how this goes!

:)

Tuesday 21 December 2010

To see the story behind the words is important

Hussain recalls his earlier life: "in Afghanistan, I was a shepherd and a farmer. We had a small house, very simple. We slept on the floor. Mostly we were happy with our life. All we really wanted was enough food and safety..."

But the Taliban made life very complicated. When Hussain refused to reveal his eldest son's whereabouts, they threatened to kill him.

http://www.rethinkrefugees.com.au

He had to leave his village behind without delay. He also knew that his wife and children would be much safer once he was gone.

He departed for distant Indonesia -- but was unable to stay and eventually found himself aboard a crowded boat to Australia.

When our Navy took him to Darwin, he finally felt safe. Although the Woomera processing centre was a bleak place, he found its guards to be "kind and good people".

After six years of uncertainty, Hussain and his family finally got their visas. They all love this country.

As he says, "Australia is the most beautiful place in my life. It is the first time my children are safe. It is the first place we have slept well for the whole night, without fear and bomb blasts..."

No comments:

Post a Comment